Friday, May 29, 2009

Keys Race Report

it has been a long time since my last post and a couple weeks since the race and I have not posted my race report yet - no excuses just lazy. Read and enjoy

The Keys 50 miler, 100 miler and 100 mile relay was held on May 16th and we were back for another shot at the 50 miler. This year was stacking up to be a lot tougher from last year because I was not trained properly and was not overly excited to do the race. However, since I was the defending champion in the 50 miler I felt I needed to go give it a shot.

My training consisted of a 18 mile run, 20 mile run, and 22 mile run on back to back to back days. Other than that I did not run over 10 miles since New Years Day. I did have a lot of short speed work under my belt but not any good long runs.

My plan for the race was to go as long as I could and if I needed to drop out then no biggie - I would just head for the Keys and drink some beer and cheer everyone else on.

My crew consisted of good friends Stephanie and Greg. This would be there first time crewing but I knew they would be awesome. I was going to tackle this years race with no pacers to run with me and keep me company during the rough patches. I do believe it is easier to tackle a race this long the second time around - we learned so much on the first attempt.

The race started in Marathon at 10:00a, at this point the 100 mile relay and individuals had been running for 4 hours - the fast relay guys would catch the 50 milers at some point along the way but hopefully not too soon. At the pre race meeting Bob (the race director) pointed me out as the guy who won last year, nothing like putting a big fat target on my back! But I got many people coming by to chat with us before the race and seek advice - that was kind of fun. At 9:50a 60 of us crossed US 1 to the start line - wow was I nervous at that point.

At 10:00a we were off for our trek to Key West. This is a very easy race because there are no turns - just head south and keep running until you run out of island. The race is totally self supported so you have to have a crew and car with all your supplies - they crew just leapfrogs the runners all the way to the end. The crew is as important as running, if they are not ready with supplies, or not making sure the runner is drinking and eating it will spell doom for the runner.

The forecast for this year was a lot better than last year, 84-87 degrees and a 15mph tail wind all the way to Key West. Last year temps topped 95 and it was absolutely miserable. This year the plan was to slow my butt down in the beginning and to take frequent walk break early. When the gun went off we headed south and I found myself in the lead with 3 other dudes. We had a nice conversation while running along. I knew we were running too fast (about 8:00 miles) but my plan was to stop right before 7 mile bridge to refuel, slow down and get new fluid bottles. So when we hit mile 4 of the race I stopped at my crew car and let the other 3 go ahead (I hoped I would get a chance to see them again). While on the bridge I started my walk breaks - my plan was to run 2 miles and walk 2 minutes. On my first walk break I was passed by another guy so I was in 5th place overall.

After the bridge I had slowed my pace to a very comfortable 8:45 mile and was walked, drinking and eating on plan. I saw the crew after the bridge and we decided that we would meet up every 3 miles. By mile 17 of the race I had repassed everyone and was in first. The guys I went by did not seem like the were handling things too well. It was started to heat up and I do not think they were drinking enough. At mile 17 that was a mandated weigh in, clothes change and solid food eating station. The crew was awesome - when I got to the car they were ready with new clothes, socks and shoes laid out and food all ready to roll. At the pit stop I was was passed my 2 guys - one who had been behind me the whole time and one who I had just passed. I still took my time and made sure everything was still on plan - PLAN YOUR RACE, RACE YOUR PLAN.

3 more pit stops and we would be at the half way point and check in station. When I left the car from mile 17 my shoes were ties too tight and it felt like I had a thorn in my sock. I stopped to loosen my shoes and took off my right shoe and sock to make sure nothing was there - all seemed ok. When I started to run again the pain in my toe came back - I figured it was a blister coming on and decided to keep running. Within a mile I passed one dude and was back in second place, but the guy who was in first was moving on down the road pretty steady.

At mile 25 I was passed by another dude so I was back in 3rd. The two of us ran to the check point together and checked in at the same time. We were 8 minutes down - in 8 miles the guy put 8 minutes on me - holy crap! there was no way I could keep up that pace to try and catch him. Shortly after the check point I decided that I could not stay with the guy that was in second either - he was just running too fast. I was through 25 miles in 3:54 - perfect pace. the goal was to try and run the second half close to the first. Last year my second half was 90 minutes slower. After leaving the check in we were still on 3 mile intervals for pit stops, but I was not feeling great. In a race this long you go through a lot of highs and lows the goal is to have your crew keep you moving and to wait for the high points to come back in order to get moving again.

Somewhere around mile 28 of the race I was contemplating quitting. I did not feel great and was only running about 2-3 minutes and walking 2-3 minutes. But I kept at it hoping things might turn. We moved the pit stops to every 2 miles in hopes that might help some. Steph and Greg started feeding me more solids - pretzels, chips, pb&j - and we started on the coke. I really struggled through the next 6 miles - I think I was down to about 11 minutes a mile - not good. I was also starting to see a lot of crew cars - that means that runners are starting to catch you. It was kind of motivating to see them because all the crews are so nice but it is also a little deflating.

At mile 33-34 it was time for another clothes change. When I got to the car Greg was ready with the change of clothes and Steph had the food. While I sat on the tailgate and soaked my feet in ice water (not paying attention to my ever growing blister) I told them that we might be done. Only 17 miles left and we might have to call it a day. I decided to try some Alka Seltzer at this point too, thought it might calm my stomach, help with some of the lactate acid build up and provide some pain relief.

We probably spent 10 minutes or so in the pit stop and decide to give it a try for 2 miles and we would decide from there. I started walking and then started to feel a little better - I started to run and ran the whole 2 miles. At the next stop we started with oranges and coke which is what got me through the miles last year. Also did a weigh in and was only down 5 lbs. We also decided to try every 2.5 miles for the pit stops and try and take advantage of the new found energy as long as possible. I actually ran for the next 8 miles (about 8:45 pace) stopping to walk through the pit stops but running the rest of the time. I also stopped seeing crew cars so I was starting to put some distance on the folks chasing. I was not gaining on the folks in front but at least I was moving. My only hope would be that they had some troubles and had to start walking a lot.

During that stretch I probably over did it a little - because with about 9-10 miles to go I started to feel bad again. It was getting super hot too. The had just paved parts of the road and you could see the tar melting up through the pavement - that is hot. It had to be 10-15 degrees hotter on the new black top. On my walk breaks I would move off the road to the grass just to cool down some. When you hit single digits in miles left you start to feel pretty darn good. Ran 41 and only 9 more to go. You just continue to play mental games at that point - 8,7,6 miles to go or only 2 miles until I see the crew again. At each check point we started making plans for crossing the finish line together (something I neglected to do last year) and when we were having our first beer! Once you cross into Key West it is pretty much all down hill and you actually get a little shade along the way.

Close to the finish line Greg and Steph met me and we ran the last 100 yards together. It was a pretty stressful run but a lot easier than last year. I wish I was in the shape this year that I was last year and last year it was the temps we had this year - but you take what the race throws at you and deal with it.

I ended up 3rd overall in a time of 8:23:00 - 75 minutes (1.5 minutes per mile) faster than last year. Overall pace was about 10:00 a mile and second half 4:30:00 slower than the first half but not bad.

I had a great time, the crew did a great job and the race was awesome as usual. Bob and his team put on a fantastic race and the Keys is always a great place to end! There is nothing like having a cold beer with your crew after spending 8+ hours together in the heat and them listening to me complain.

We will see what next year brings!

1 comment:

ShirleyPerly said...

Congrats on 3rd and the faster finishing time! Well done esp. considering how little training you had going in. Interesting to read how different your event was from a regular ol' marathon. Even quite different than trail ultra race reports that I've read.