Wednesday, April 14, 2010

track, track, track

today was my 4th day in a row of long workouts - I have been trying to build some endurance to get ready to head to the Keys to either run the 50 or 100 miler. I have no decided yet which race to run yet. I am having some physical issues that will not hinder me for the 100 miles but might make it hard to recover in time for the IM in Sept. We will see.

Here has been my week to date:

Sunday - 100 miles on the bike
Monday - 20 mile run on the trails
Tuesday - 3300 in the pool (2 miles)
Wednesday - 14 x 800 @ 3:21 with 200 recovery

I love track workouts - you are all alone and it is all your effort. I go to a deserted track that's in pretty bad shape but no one ever goes there - so it is me against the track. It's all mental - track work gets you ready for the last 5k of a marathon where everything hurts - the last 10 miles of a 50 miler - the tough days in the office - the rougher days that life throws at you!

Running in circles can be boring - but trying to hit a time goal time after time makes you keep focus, keeps you on task, makes you think about what you are doing. I enjoy that - I enjoy the solitude, the time to think, and the challenge of being consistent and strong.

Tomorrow will be an easy day - i am running a 5k and Friday will be a weight lifting day only - it has been a fine week!

No comments: