Sunday, August 30, 2009

The Flag and how athletes treat it



so here is something that really bothers me and what better place to talk about it than my blog - that is what it is for right?

So at the track meet I was watching on TV today - when someone won a race they presented the athlete with their countries flag to drape over their shoulders and parade around.

I am not sure the rules in other countries but in the US our flag etiquette states - the flag will not be upside down (except in distress), used for drapery, and it should never touch the ground.

I constantly see athletes draping the flag on their shoulders - using it as a towel - flying it upside down and they never keep it off the ground. Call me old fashion, out of touch, whatever but I find it disrespectful.

It is right up there when someone does not remove their hat during the National Anthem - oh man - I hate that. Or when they are talking during the National Anthem - or walking to their seat or peeing.

I will make a promise - if I am ever winning a race and someone hands me the flag I will not take - I will respectfully decline. I will be happy to take one of those little flags on a stick - hold it the right way and represent my country - just do not ask me to wear it.

AHHHHH - I feel better now. Thanks - and remember, if I ask you to represent the flag the way it should be don;t be mad - just trying to do the right thing.

Cheers

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree and your blog is the perfect place to express these sentiments!

Ego/winning and the flag don't mix in my mind...

Bruce Stewart (施樸樂) (ブルース・スチュワート) said...

Informative post. I haven't been too sure what is acceptable since I have seen a lot of things on TV. I have the US flag on my swim cap. Hopefully that is respectful as I am unlikely to sit on my head or carelessly move it about. I am not a US citizen but would be if I could as is it the country with the ideals (freedom and opportunity to determine one's own destiny) that are closest to my own. I am a "citizen of the world" as I believe Franklin D. Roosevelt once said.