Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Space Coast Marathon

I found out about 3 weeks ago that I was promised to go to Boston this year if one of our clients qualified - well, he qualified and now I need to qualify to uphold the promise that was made without my knowledge :-)

I have been training for 3 weeks now - my long runs are up to 15 miles and my weekly mileage is up to 45 miles a week.

My plan is quite simple - long run will top out about 16-17 miles and weekly miles will top out about 60 for one week only and will average about 45.

I did a speed workout yesterday and was able to knock out 7 x 800 @ 2:45 so I have a little speed left in me.

When I get to the race I will decide if I am going to try and run a 3:20 (my qualifying time) or if I am going to go for placement in the race which will need about a 2:55 - we will see how I feel.

I had to cancel 2 races leading up to the marathon because of having to qualify - I was going to run a 30k trail race on the 22nd, a 10 mile on the 26th and then the marathon on the 29th in order to get ready for the 100 miler - when I found out I had to run fast I cancelled the other 2 races to focus on the marathon.

Hopefully the plan works.

1 comment:

Richard Coughlin said...

2:45 for 800s, not bad! :-)